Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Lithics Illustrations


While working as an archaeological technician for the Forest Service this past summer, one of my friends and coworkers taught me how to illustrate lithics. Artifact illustrations are often taken for granted due to the modern bias towards photography. However, a lot of small details get lost in photographs and are better emphasized in clearly rendered sketches. Although These drawings are of lithics from America rather than the Old World, I am quite proud of them and would love to share them with you anyways. Though drawings of the projectile points we found in the field were incredibly difficult to do quickly, I did get to practice sketching the few flakes and stone tools I found around our district office. Here are a few of my drawings~

Secondary flake, white chert 

Secondary flake, opaque obsidian

Roughly worked early-stage biface 

Roughly worked early-stage biface

Biface fragment, white chert

Biface fragment, opaque black obsidian

Unidentified projectile point fragment

 Pinto series point, translucent obsidian



No comments:

Post a Comment